Tuesday 17 March 2015

Last Alliance Elf - Test Model

I've started working on a test model for my Last Alliance elves - it's still very rough and ready at the moment but the colour scheme is starting to take shape.


I've chosen a different colour scheme from the traditional GW blue cloaks/tunics for these guys - I was re-watching the films recently and noticed that whilst Elrond & Gil Galad wore blue cloaks the rank & file troops definitely didn't.

My go-to reference book(1) notes that Gil-Galad and Elrond wore midnight-blue cloaks, "the colour of [the] king's banner", with the other elves wearing cloaks of Elven Silk "coloured a silver grey-green". When looking for a nice grey-green paint I discovered that GW don't actually make that colour so I have mixed my own up from what I had on hand. I may try and find a 'proper' shade from another range (I think some of the WW2 ranges should have something appropriate) but for now the mixing wasn't too awkward and gave reasonable colours.

Elrond & Gil-Galad will have deep blue cloaks and Glorfindel will probably have one too to keep all the commanders the same. My banners will also be coloured with deep blues & golds to carry the theme.

I decided to go with non-metallic gold simply because I've always wanted to try the technique and these guys seemed like a good opportunity to use it. I used the colours and methods from this tutorial and added a couple of green washes at the end to get the tone I wanted. My blending is still pretty rough but I'm hoping that will improve with practice!

At present the colours I have used are;

NMM Gold
  • XV 88 Basecoat
  • Washed with Agrax Earthshade
  • Highlighted with Balor Brown then Zamesi Desert
  • Outlined with White Scar
  • Washed twice with Athosian Camoshade
Cloak
  • 2:1 mix of Skavenblight Dinge : Elysian Green
  • Highlights done by adding Dawnstone and eventually White Scar

Under-skirt:
  • 2:1 mix of Stormvermin Fur: Ogryn Camo
  • Highlights done by adding Administratum Grey and eventually White Scar


(1)Reference Book: "The Lord of the Rings" Weapons and Warfare by Chris Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment